Friday, May 18, 2007

Catablogging Samuel Johnson

After my post on the Johnson/Boswell talk this week, I received an email from John Overholt, who's been cataloguing the printed books portion of the Donald and Mary Hyde Collection of Samuel Johnson at Harvard. For about the last two years, as he's catalogued, John has blogged about his findings at Hyde Collection Catablog, which I am very ashamed to say I didn't know anything about until John brought it to my attention. It's a wonderfully fun and varied look at Johnson and his contemporaries through books, and I've really been enjoying reading through the archived posts.

Additionally I should note that with the completion of the cataloguing process, John's been hired as the assistant curator of the collection, for which he deserves many congratulations. A large exhibition of the Hyde materials is planned for 2009, so we'll all have to stay tuned for that.