The New York Public Library has released its "Best of Reference 2007" list, which includes a few surprises among the more expected titles (and proves that there really is/will be a reference book/site for just about anything. Here's a sampling:
- Encylopedia of Feminist Literature. Mary Ellen Snodgrass; Facts on File, 2006.
- Forensic Science: An Encyclopedia of History, Methods, and Techniques. William Tilstone, Kathleen Savage and Leigh Clark; ABC-Clio, 2006. For the "CSI" wannabees out there.
- America's Historical Newspapers. Selected full-text newspaper images (very handy, actually).
- The eBay Price Guide. Julia Wilkinson; No Starch Press, 2006. The "going-rate" for various eBayable items (and what isn't, these days?).
- An Encyclopedia of Swearing: The Social History of Oaths, Profanity, Foul Language, and Ethnic Slurs in the English-Speaking World. Geoffrey Hughes; M.E. Sharpe, Inc., 2006. Origins, usages, and even illustrations, notes the NYPL.