Tuesday, October 31, 2006

For Your Halloween Pleasure

- I cannot help but mention today the "War of the Worlds" broadcast which spooked the nation on October 30, 1938 (should have posted it yesterday but for some reason I always thought it happened on Halloween). The Mercury Theatre has audio of the broadcast (RealAudio or MP3) and they've also got a list of their (many) other radio plays, some which look quite interesting! It's always interesting to listen to the "War of the Worlds" broadcast, and if I get some time today I'm hoping to sit back and enjoy it again myself.

- Google's posted full digitized versions of some favorite "Scary Stories" for the occasion: I recommend "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," "The Tell-Tale Heart" and of course "Dracula."

- Via Fine Books Blog, AbeBooks has a highlighted interview today with dealer Larry Coven, who specializes in horror fiction. And speaking of horror, Abe has also tabulated the "10 Most Expensive Stephen King Books" they've sold through their site (linked from Rare Book News).

Happy Halloween!