Thursday, October 02, 2008

Harvard Book Store Under New Ownership

One of best independent bookstores in the Boston area (or, I would venture to say, anywhere), Harvard Book Store in Cambridge, has been purchased by Jeff Mayersohn and his wife, Linda Seamonson. Shelf Awareness reports that "Frank Kramer, who has owned the business, founded by his father in 1932, for 46 years, will act as a consultant, and Carole Horne continues as general manager."

Mayersohn, a tech-company exec, says he's been a customer at Harvard Book Store for more than thirty years, and added in a statement "I'm overwhelmed and elated by this opportunity. My wife and I have wanted to own a bookstore for many years--I never imagined that it could be Harvard Book Store." Kramer said of the purchase "Jeff is both a book lover and a businessman who has a tangible affection for Harvard Book Store. When I met him, I liked him immediately. And when I found out that he and his family plan their vacations around the locations of great independent bookstores, I liked him even more."

All the best of luck to Jeff and Linda as they jump into this new venture. I think I speak for all of HBS' customers and friends when I express me sincere hope that it stays around for many, many years.