Happy New Year, friends. May 2021 be better than the last.
- From the BBC, "Has Thomas Becket's treasured 'little book' been found?"
- Gerald Cloud is working on a census of Jose Figueroa's Manifesto a la Republican Mejicana (1835) and could use your help if you know of any copies.
- Peter Kidd has posted a three-part series about manuscript cuttings from an album previously sold in the Hoe sale: Frate Nebridio, More Cuttings Illuminated by Nebridio, and Payne.
- Rebecca Romney has listed her top fifteen favorite books sold in 2020.
- From Rare Book Monthly, Michael Stillman has his annual report on the top 500 book and manuscript lots at auction in 2020. Bruce McKinney has a look back at the year that was, statements from five auction professionals, and perspectives from the ABA, ABAA, ILAB, and Marvin Getman. I have to say I am particularly keen on Selby Kiffer's call if we continue down the road of fewer printed sale catalogs: "At the least, auction houses should make their past online catalogues fully available in an easily searchable archive, complete with unsold lots and any post-publication emendations." Absolutely (and please). Perhaps the most surprising news is Marvin Getman's: "I do not plan, at this time, to bring back my live fairs. I know that might be a disappointment to some who enjoy attending my satellite fairs during the ABAA fairs but the fact is that those fairs take a lot out of this old guy for their financial return. I will devote my time and attention to continuing to improve my virtual platform and to develop themes that will bring booksellers and their customers together." As someone who took great pleasure in attending Marvin's well-produced fairs, I will miss them terribly, though I certainly understand the reasons not to hold them. Marvin deserves great plaudits from all of us in the bibliosphere for stepping up and making the virtual fairs work smoothly and efficiently!
- Longtime Exlibris moderator and bibliographer Everett Wilkie died on 23 December, from complications related to COVID-19.
- From the Antiquarian Library of the Cathedral and Abbey Church of St. Alban at Humbert & Ellis on 4 January.
- Rare Manuscripts, Autographs and Books at University Archives on 6 January.
- Books and Works on Paper at Forum Auctions on 7 January.
- Fine Literature – Science Fiction & Mystery at PBA Galleries on 7 January.