Friday, July 13, 2007

Vacation Reading

I'm off later today for a week on the coast of Maine with family and friends, so I probably won't be posting again before the evening of 22 July ... and given that Deathly Hallows will be waiting for me when I get back, it might be another day or so. I'm sure I'll have much news to catch up on when I return ("my Google Reader overfloweth ...").

In the meantime, here are the books I'm taking with me (along with the new Common-place and a bunch of articles I've accumulated recently). I doubt I'll get through even half of these, but I like to have a good good selection.

- Jasper Fforde, Thursday Next in First Among Sequels.

- Charles Nicholl, The Reckoning: The Murder of Christopher Marlowe.

- Nicholas Basbanes, A Splendor of Letters: The Permanence of Books in an Impermanent World.

- Carla Rahn Phillips, The Treasure of the San José: Death at Sea in the War of the Spanish Succession (in progress).

- Bryan Waterman, Republic of Intellect: The Friendly Club of New York City and the Making of American Literature.

- Bernd Heinrich, The Snoring Bird: My Family's Journey Through a Century of Biology.