Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Flood Closes Boston Athenaeum

In an email last night to members and friends of the Boston Athenaeum, director Paula Matthews reported the very sad news that a serious flood occurred at the Athenaeum yesterday afternoon, resulting in damage to several thousand books from the circulating collection, as well as several pieces of artwork and furniture. Thankfully the leak happened during the day, so the response was immediate and well-coordinated. The books have been sent offsite to be dried.

I know I join all who love the Athenaeum in expressing my thanks to the staff for their hard work in dealing with this - having been through the aftermath of a flood like this (unfortunately one that happened in the middle of the night over the Christmas holiday), I know it's a pain to deal with, but I have no doubt that 10 1/2 Beacon Street will be its usual self before very long at all.