A good week for bargains (unfortunately). I stopped by the Harvard Bookstore Warehouse sale this morning, and visited at Commonwealth and the Brattle yesterday (where I found some new review copies plus some Oak Knoll goodies). Along with a few Christmas gifts, not listed here for obvious reasons, I picked up:
- The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde (Viking, 2004). Harvard Bookstore. An upgrade from the paperback edition, which will now be deaccessioned.
- Dracula by Bram Stoker (Back Bay Books, 2005). Harvard Bookstore. I realized I didn't have a copy, for reasons entirely passing understanding.
- The Pencil: A History of Design and Circumstance by Henry Petroski (Faber & Faber, 2003). Harvard Bookstore.
- Book Traveller by Bruce Bliven, Jr. (Dodd, Mead, & Co., 1975). Gift.
- Fifty Books in the Collection of the Boston Athenaeum (Athenaeum, 1994). Gift.
- The George Washington Library Collection by Stanley Ellis Cushing (Boston Athenaeum, 1997). Gift.
- Political Moderation in America's First Two Centuries by Robert McCluer Calhoon (Cambridge University Press, 2009). Brattle.
- Samuel Johnson: The Struggle by Jeffrey Meyers (Basic Books, 2008). Brattle. One of what I'm sure will be the umpteen gazillion new SJ bios coming out soon.
- Forgotten Patriots: The Untold Story of American Prisoners During the Revolutionary War by Edwin Burrows (Basic Books, 2008). Brattle.
- The Great Design: Two Lectures on the Smithson Bequest by John Quincy Adams (Smithsonian, 1965). Brattle.
- Blindspot: A Novel by a Gentleman in Exile and a Lady in Disguise by Jane Kamensky and Jill Lepore (Spiegel & Grau, 2008). Brattle.
- Libraries and Founders of Libraries by Edward Edwards (Burt Franklin Reprint, 1969). Brattle.
- The Reach of Print: Making, Selling, and Using Books; edited by Peter C. G. Isaac and Barry McKay (Oak Knoll Press, 1998). Brattle.
- A Book of Booksellers: Conversations with the Antiquarian Book Trade, 1991-2003 by Sheila Markham (Oak Knoll Press, 2007). Brattle.
- The Poetical Works by John Trumbull (G. Olm, 1969. Facsimile of the 1820 Hartford edition). Commonwealth.
- Bibliographical Essays: A Tribute to Wilberforce Eames by Bruce Rogers, George Parker Winship et al. (Harvard University Press, 1924). Commonwealth.
- The Browning Collections: A Reconstruction With Other Memorabilia : The Library, First Works, Presentation Volumes, Manuscripts, Likenesses, Works of Art, Household and Personal Effects, and Other Association Items of Robert and Elizabeth Barrett Browning by Philip Kelley and Betty A. Coley (Wedgestone Press, 1984). Commonwealth. Since I seem to be creating quite a collection of personal library catalogs.
- The Papers of William Hickling Prescott; edited by C. Harvery Gardiner, Jr. (University of Illinois Press, 1964). Commonwealth.
Now I have to behave for a while.