Sunday, January 21, 2007

Book Review: "Mr. Foreigner"

Since reading Matthew Kneale's English Passengers this summer (review) I've been on the lookout for other books that he's written: Mr. Foreigner is the first once I've come across, and unfortunately I didn't find it nearly as enthralling (I was, in fact, glad that it was so short). It's a dark, interesting tale (and one I'm fairly surprised hasn't been optioned for a movie yet, since it would fit right in with contemporary filmmaking) of an Englishman's difficulties in Japan - but without a single sympathetic character and with rather too many glib stereotypes. It just wasn't my cup of tea. That said, there are still a couple Kneale titles out there that I haven't found yet, and I'm definitely going to give him another chance when the opportunity presents itself.